Friday, June 5, 2009

Girls & Boys Just Wanna Have Fun...

So here is my beef - why is Christianity boring?  I know I will get some responses at one point to this about how it's not boring, and I am not taking it seriously, and I am not investing in the right place, etc etc etc - yet never once did I mention or will I mention I find it to be boring.  My beef is that statement yes - but it is that statement for this generation of young people, because they are looking for the next thrill, the next exciting journey to go on - an adventure of a lifetime - yet have we as Christians made it into some religious and pious lifestyle with no return except for a self-righteous chip on our shoulders?  I fear we have become like Pharisees in the New Testament. Claiming to have the way, claiming to know Jesus, claiming to have all the answers if people just start to look like us and do what we do...yet When Christ came into the scene didn't He challenge that way of living?  

It is an unfortunate thing watching Teenage youth who are filled with passion - become passion-less in worship, in the presence of God, in the teaching/preaching of the word of God - yet when they go to a sporting event, a party, a group activity the passion is suddenly resurrected.  That passion can be deeply rooted in selfish living yes - but how can we open up the floodgates of intense Passion to their hearts - when the way we have done it is losing its luster?

What I am passionate about - seeing a student's life be transformed by the one True GOD!  It's a remarkable sight and to even speak a moment of life into that person is an honor and privilege.  I love seeing people weep over the life being spoken into them  (not because I am some weirdo but because I see the love and truth of God fill their empty hearts).  It is a crazy cool life to be used by God.  But why Don't we uphold the commitment to God!  

To me - Passion - when properly placed in God - brings about the fullness of life in all of us!  Yet it is when we place the passion in the things of this world that we lose the fullness and in turn miss out of the excitement, the adventure, the incredible promises of God!  

How do we balance wanting to "have fun" & being alive in Christ?  Or should there be a balance?  It definitely is a concept worth wrestling for as I interact on a daily basis with a young generation filled with a desire for excitement and purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment